- Amount: $64,000, plus $2,500 for research and travel, and the possibility of an additional summer's support
- Tenure: one academic year, plus one summer if justified by a persuasive case
- Completed applications must be submitted through the ACLS Online Fellowship Application system (ofa.acls.org) no later than 9 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, September 30, 2009.
- Notifications will be sent in February 2010.
ACLS will award up to 12 Ryskamp Fellowships in the 2009-2010 competition. Each fellowship carries a stipend of $64,000, a fund of $2,500 for research and travel, and an additional 2/9 of the stipend ($14,222) for one summer's support, if justified by a persuasive case.
Ryskamp Fellowships are intended to support an academic year of research (nine months), plus an additional summer's research (two months) if justified. Fellows have three years from July 1, 2010 to use the funds awarded them, and considerable flexibility in structuring their research time: the nine-month period may be taken as one continuous leave, or divided into two single-semester leaves; the two months of summer research may be taken before, after, or between the semesters of the year's leave. Fellows are encouraged to spend substantial periods of their leaves in residential interdisciplinary centers, research libraries, or other scholarly archives in the United States or abroad. If personal circumstances preclude extended absence from their home campuses, applicants need to demonstrate that they will be released from all academic and administrative responsibilities, and that continual residence at home will successfully advance their projects in other ways—through access to particular colleagues, for example, or to valuable research collections.
The Ryskamp Fellowship Program is open to
- tenure-track assistant professors and untenured associate professors who by September 30, 2009 will have successfully completed their institution's last reappointment review before tenure review, (2) and
- whose tenure review will not be complete before February 1, 2010.
Application Requirements:Applications must be submitted online and must include:
- Completed application form
- Proposal (no more than 10 pages, double spaced, in Times New Roman 11-point font)
- Bibliography (no more than two pages)
- Publications list (no more than two pages)
- Four reference letters