CARANA Corporation (www.carana.com), a U.S. based international consulting firm and contractor for the United States Agency for International Development, designs and directs innovative economic growth strategies to help countries and businesses compete globally, reducing poverty and raising living standards around the world. For 25 years, we have specialized in market-led solutions to development challenges in more than 80 countries, packaging our expertise with on-the-ground resources for continuing, cost-effective results.
CARANA seeks a qualified and experienced Accountant to be based in the Nairobi, Kenya field office of the Market Linkages Initiative (MLI), a two-year USAID-funded project focusing on agriculture market activities covering Kenya, Malawi, the DRC, Uganda and Southern Sudan.Purpose: To manage the financial reporting for the project and its various components and activities in an effective and efficient manner, including tracking "burn rates," expenses by component and activity and analysis of expenditures and forecasting expenditures. To organize and coordinate office operations and procedures to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
• Lead the compilation of monthly financial reports based on data submitted by the members of the project staff, especially the Task or Activity Leaders;
• Ensure that CARANA Corporation financial reporting requirements are met and that all members of the project understand how to report project expenses;
• Send monthly financial reports to the CARANA Corporation home office and work closely with the home office Finance Dept. to ensure that any discrepancies are clarified and that expenses are credited accurately to the appropriate budget and line item fund codes;
• Work closely with Task or Activity Leaders to ensure that they are reporting their task and/or activity expenses accurately, completely and on time;
• Project or forecast future spending patterns and alert the Chief of Party regarding expected financial or budgetary short-falls or risks of over-spending in any specific activity or task area;
• Resolve any potential disputes on task and/or activity charges against the project budget as and when they arise; and
• Assist the Task or Activity Leaders with the development of their monthly budget projections and expenses, including requests for funds for planned project activities or events;
• Coordinate office set-up and maintenance;
• Coordinate procurement needs and ordering of supplies an liaison with local project vendors for procurement of goods and materials;
• Assist with travel arrangements (transportation, lodging, etc.) for short-term consultants and project staff;
• Provide other administrative, financial and management services as requited to supporting program objectives.
Skills, Education and Experience
• Minimum of a BS Degree in Finance or Accounting;
• A professional accounting qualification is preferred;
• A minimum of 5 to 10 years accounting experience, preferably at a senior level, with experience managing other accountants;
• Experience with USAID project financial reporting requirements is preferred; and
• Very strong computer literacy skills in English, especially in EXCEL spreadsheets and word processing.
Kenyans living in Kenya are highly encouraged to apply. Relocation costs will not be covered.
To apply: Email CV and Cover Letter stating date of availability to
firstname.lastname@example.org and include "Accountant" in the email subject line.
Apply by: 23 October 2009
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls please.
CARANA is an EOE.